Among the many autism treatment options available to children with autism is Pivotal Response Treatment, or PRT. Developed more than 30 years ago as a therapy method for children with autism, PRT improves a wide range of developmental and behavioral issues rather than focusing on a sole symptom of autism.
- PRT is a form of applied behavior analysis. PRT was developed as a type of applied behavior analysis treatment. Behavior analysis is a scientifically validated approach to constructively shaping a patient’s conduct and communication with others through environmental stimulation and positive reinforcement.
- PRT is based on play and having fun. Part of PRT’s effectiveness lies in its inconspicuous therapy method. The autism specialist conducts each session as if it were playtime for the child. Moreover, children with autism who receive PRT are allowed to make choices regarding what they want to do, thus allowing them to exercise initiative and improve decision-making skills.
- PRT can improve communication, language proficiency, and social skills. The autism specialist continually engages the child during each PRT session. This affords the child an opportunity to strengthen his or her language and communication skills. Also, this constant interaction between specialist and child works to improve the patient’s social skills.
- PRT can alleviate disruptive self-stimulatory behavior. Because each PRT session involves the recurrent interaction between autism specialist and child, the patient cannot engage in disruptive behaviors common to children with autism. As the specialist demands his or her constant attention, the child becomes more focused on the environment and less prone to self-stimulatory activities.
- PRT isn’t only for young children with autism. Though PRT is a highly effective therapy option for young children with autism spectrum disorder, it can benefit individuals of all ages. If you have an older child or teenager with autism, consult an autism specialist to see if PRT is a viable option for your family.
STAR California provides autism treatment options such as PRT to families who live in the greater Los Angeles area. Call us today at (805) 624-6982 to speak with one of our autism specialists.